Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bye, Bye Bunheads


Bunheads was one of those shows no one watched, but many, many people loved. It aired on ABC Family, sandwiched between comedies about boys raising babies and whatever Pretty Little Liars is about and never really found the audience it deserved. Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, who also created the super wonderful Gilmore Girls, Bunheads was, like SATC, a show by and about women...in this case high school ballerinas and the women they grow up to be.

I loved Bunheads. The crazy, Sherman-Palladino-ized dialogue (with 100 MPH jokes and pop culture references, half of which I didn't get...maybe a quarter of which I didn't get because my pop culter knowledge is very good, thankyouverymuch!) was a particular highlight. It was frank about sex and growing up and what it's like to be a 30 something woman who never quite realized her dreams and learns to make new dreams instead (that last point I can particularly relate to).

I'll miss Bunheads, which was sadly cancelled last week, but wait patiently for the next AS-P joint to find my new "Oy with the poodles already!"

No comments:

Post a Comment